Horton Housing developed out of the Bradford Day Shelter, a homeless charity based in Bradford city centre, which was established in 1976.
Horton Housing Association was registered as an Industrial and Provident Society in 1985 with the aim of working in partnership with other registered housing associations to meet the housing and support needs of people accessing the day shelter.
Our services have been developed to meet the needs of those who have difficulty accessing statutory services. In particular people with drug and alcohol problems, people who are homeless and/or rough sleepers, people with mental health problems and young parents.
- In 1990, we opened our first hostel in Spring Street, Huddersfield.
- In 1993, we opened Oak Mount, a registered care home caring for men with chronic alcohol misuse problems.
- In 2003, we opened our first services in Calderdale.
- In 2008, we started providing services in North Yorkshire.
- In 2014, we set up BRICSS, a home from hospital scheme.